Employment based green cards –employment based immigrant visas are divided into five preference categories. Certain spouses and children may accompany or follow-to-join employment based immigrants.
First Preference (EB1): Priority Workers. A labor certification is NOT required for any of the following Priority Subgroups:
- Persons with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics.
- Outstanding professors and researchers with at least three years of experience in teaching or research, who are recognized internationally.
- Multinational managers or executives who have been employed for at least one of the three preceding years by the overseas affiliate, parent, subsidiary, or branch of the U.S. employer.
Second Preference (EB2): Professionals holding advanced degrees and persons with exceptional ability. A labor certification is required for the subgroups below:
- Professionals holding an advanced degree, or a baccalaureate degree and at least five years progressive experience in the profession.
- Persons with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business.
Third Preference (EB3): Skilled workers, professionals and unskilled workers
- Skilled workers are persons whose jobs require a minimum of 2 years training or work experience that are not temporary or seasonal.
- Professionals are members of the professions whose jobs require at least a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. university or college or its foreign equivalent degree.
- Unskilled workers are persons capable of filling positions that require less than two years training or experience that are not temporary or seasonal.
Fourth Preference (EB4): Certain special immigrants
- Iraqi/Afghan Translators
- Religious Workers
- International Organzation Workers
- Iraqis who have assited the United States
- Armed Forces Members
- Panama Canal Zone Employees
- Retired Nato-6 Employees
- Spouses and children of deceased Nato-6 employees.
Fifth Preference (EB5): Immigrant Investors
- For more information on visas for investors, please check our page for EB-5 Investor immgrant visa.
Authored by: Aneliya Angelova