Do I need to submit a Case Information Statement?


Case Information Statement in Family Law Cases

What is a Case Information Statement?

A Case Information Statement is a document that sets forth the financial details of the parties. The court uses this document to determine the amount for child support, alimony, counsel fees where appropriate, or other monetary related disputes.

What kind of information am I required to put in a Case Information Statement?

The required information includes the parties' income, a budget of joint lifestyle expenses, a budget of current life style expenses including the expenses of the parties' children. Your case information statement should include the most recent tax returns with w2 forms, 1099s and three most recent paystubs.

Do I need to submit a Case Information Statement for any family matter?

The court rule requires that the case information statement shall be filed in all contested family actions in which there is any issue as to custody, support, alimony or equitable distribution. So if your case involves child support, custody or any monetary related matter, you are most likely required to file one.

Will my financial information shared with others?

Your Case Information Statement will be shared with the other party in your case. So that if the other party disagrees with any amount in your form, he or she could raise that issue before court. However, your information is safe outside of your court proceeding. The Case Information Statement and all attachments thereto are confidential and unavailable for public inspection pursuant to the court rule.

What happens if I do not submit my Case Information Statement?

The court may dismiss your pleadings for failure to have filed a case information statement. Moreover, you are prohibited from introducing into evidence any information not disclosed through a case information statement. Also, a judge may deny your applications for failure to update financial information.

Where can I get a Case Information Statement form?

You can either download the form from the New Jersey Court's website or ask for a hardcopy at your county family court.